my name is phillip

This is my little corner of the internet

I like books, music, cooking, Gardening, mountaineering, and building embedded systems

My Objectives for 2019

There's nothing the birth of a child to bring all of your previously held beliefs, plans, expectations, and goals crashing down around you. I recognize the luxury of my pre-child time: clear thoughts, optimized sleep, setting whatever schedule I want, being able to ignore my own health to achieve goals. I could maintain 10 projects, foolishly, because I had the time to dedicate to these projects.

I am no longer the center of my own universe. I've already noticed how I get much less done, and how everything seems to take approximately 15 million times longer that I expect.

One area of my life I need to simplify is the goals and tasks that I'm trying to accomplish. I decided that I can only afford to focus on five major objectives. Any tasks or projects which fit into these five areas will be prioritized, and everything else needs to fall by the wayside.

My primary objectives for the next 11 months are:

  1. Support my family and spend time with them each day without using electronics
  2. Finish my embedded framework:
    • Deploy to two embedded platforms
    • Sell to four clients
  3. Write every day, and publish at least three times a week
  4. Spend 30 minutes every day exercising, with the following fitness standard goals:
    • 20 pull-ups in a continuous set
    • 100 crunches in 2 minutes
    • 100 pushups in 2 minutes
    • 5 minute plank
    • 5k run in 25 minutes
    • 4 mile ruck march with 30 pound pack in 50 minutes
  5. I want to nourish my family every day with food I make, and to focus on mastering/documenting 24 dishes

As I do my morning journaling each day, I have started taking a moment to remind myself of these five overarching goals and write down a note for how I intend to move them forward that day. By setting the stage up front, I notice that I'm actually focusing on each objective.

These objectives should correspond to 95% of what I spend my time doing. Anything else needs to fit into the other 5% - or not at all.

Curb your desire— don’t set your heart on so many things and you will get what you need.
-- Epictetus

My Wage

My Wage

Roast Lamb Shoulder

Roast Lamb Shoulder